Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Tanu's all pepped up!


How much of a noise are you expecting Dhol to make?

I’ve never had dreamy expectations from my films. But with the kind of packaging Dhol has, my expectations aren’t totally running dry.

Two years old in Bollywood, are directors ready to cash in on your acting prowess rather than your ‘hot’ image?

I always desired to be taken seriously as an actor. When I started out, I was made to believe that I could not go much beyond my looks. It did bother me as a newcomer. But now I don’t care what other people think of me. I am here to do my work.

Your ‘hot’ image seems to be the side effect of your sizzling hot body. How do you maintain yourself?

I go to the gym, I dance and eat right. I do not deny myself from the pleasures of food. Only, I do not binge. I have also started taking kathak lessons.

What about experimentation with cinema?

Right after Aashiq Banaya Aapne and Chocolate, I was on the lookout for diverse roles and got one in Raqeeb wherein my character has negative shades. Soon I will be doing comedy and action too.

And what about being choosy?

You bet I am. I am young and have time on my hands to go wild with my choices. If I make mistakes, I will be
forgiven for them. Maybe five years down the line, I will play safe.

And how experimental would you get?

I would be cautious enough not to get involved in something that goes down the drain. I would not dump myself and call it experimentation.

What if you go wrong in your decisions?

I would rather make mistakes than stick to the tried-and-tested formula.

What about being a part of offbeat films for the sake of testing new waters?

I am yet to be offered a truly offbeat film. Everyone can stake claim to offbeat cinema, few survive. Actors are often fooled into being a part of low-budget films, often a
misnomer for the much-bandied about ‘offbeat’, ‘crossover’ cinema.

What if a Rituparno Ghosh or an Aparna Sen approached you for their projects?

That hasn’t worked out for me yet. Maybe most of these directors want arty actors. But one surely benefits from a good director. A project will get my nod if it satisfies my artistic capacity.

So, would it be beneficial to work in a commercial Bengali venture?

I don’t do anything without benefit. And it wouldn’t be a bad idea to consider a commercial Tollywood venture after weighing the pros and cons.

What about sharing screen space with other female actors?
I avoid choosing projects which have three-four female actors. I can’t imagine playing second fiddle to anyone.

How good an idea was it to do an item number in Bhagam Bhag?

The song worked wonders for my popularity.

Aren’t you a confirmed music lover?

Not many people know but I am a trained classical vocalist, since I had been trained for six years in Hindustani classical and Rabindrasangeet as a child.

Recently you have become the ambassador for a jewellery brand. What is more alluring big bucks or popularity?

Both. It’s a symbiotic relationship. Without good movies, an actor will have no endorsements.

You are known in the industry for having a shoe fetish. Are you another Imelda Marcos in the making?

I am a little crazy about shoes and jewellery. It is almost like an addiction.

Finally, how do you think you have fared in Bollywood?

I have just about started. What the industry has seen so far is only the trailor. The movie hasn’t even begun.

No comments: