Monday, July 23, 2007

Marriage or nothing: Manisha


Various emotions flit across her face. Lost in thought one minute, smiling warmly at a compliment the next, sad one moment, laughing gaily a minute later... tell Manisha Koirala this and she says, “That’s the way I am. I like to live every emotion to the fullest, even if it is momentary.” She adds, “Though right now I feel a little lost. I have just lost my granny and am yet to come to terms with that.”

But we have hardly seen on screen? “I have been travelling, holidaying, taking a break,” she waves her hand. And? “Planning.” Planning what? “I am going to begin producing films early next year. So I have been shortlisting directors, reading scripts, and thinking a lot about all things related to that,” elaborates Manisha. “I will be directing too – that’s another ambition of mine. So I have been planning for all these things, and readying myself to get into the execution mode.”

Does she really have to push herself into action? “It’s not that. Don’t read what I am saying as ‘I am lazy’. It’s just that last time I jumped into it without any proper planning. And I’ve learnt enough from my mistakes to not repeat them again,” she replies.

Her mobile intrudes, with a message. As she reads it, we ask about the rumours of her joining politics. She looks up, and says, “Not now. I come from a political family, so I am well-versed with what the game is all about. Too many of my family members are involved in politics for me to feign ignorance of the subject. But at the moment, I am happy helping them, without being actively involved. Let’s see.”

She begins to text a reply. So, what happened to the actress in her? She was the most promising talent in Bollywood at a point of time. Why did she lose her grip? She looks up, and for a long moment, doesn’t speak. And then, says softly, “You’re right. I did not explore or exploit my acting potential. I did fairly decent work, but never made it that big. I know I could have, if I had tried. But then...,” she pauses, and adds, “But time hasn’t run out for me. Not yet.”

The beep of her mobile shatters the moment yet again. Who is it? Manisha smiles, and says, “Don’t go on that track now. I am single. And now, I will settle for nothing less than marriage. Earlier I would have got into a relationship for love, but that phase of my life is over.”

No comments: