Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Never a nervous moment for Gul Panag


Gul Panag seems to be settling into Bollywood with the same ease with which she settled down in her swanky new home a couple of weeks ago. And she’s learnt to say ‘no’. Ask her to say or do anything that she doesn’t want to, and she dimples prettily, smiles and puts her foot down.

“You’ve got to learn to do this. There’s no limit to the kind of things people make you do or want from you otherwise,” she says. But then, this is one lesson that must have come easy to Gul who likes to weigh her choices before getting into something.

For someone who’s stepped into Bollywood very cautiously, this Delhi gal, a former Miss India-Universe (1999) has done some good movies in a short span of time.

“Well, there was never any nervousness or diffidence even when I did my first take. I was pretty sure of what I wanted to do. And then, my goals are different,” says Gul.

Then she suddenly says, “The AC isn’t working? Are you also feeling hot, or am I the only one?”

Looking at her in an off-shoulder evening gown, her shoulders all air-brushed bronze, one tells her who’s hot in the room at that moment. “Thank you,” she smiles. “But I’d rather be the talent that’s not dependent on looks to deliver. It’s the intellect that sustains you, not beauty.”

Going back to her statement on goals, does she mean that walking the ramp is completely out for her? “I can’t say that. But there’s so much to do in cinema. I have been given the opportunity, I’d like to explore my potential.”

From there on, the talk veers to the butterfly tattoo she got done when in the US. “I guess tattoos are no longer a haute fashion statement, but I wanted one anyways,” she says.

So, she follows her heart, does she? “And my mind,” she adds.

No comments: